Judi Neal Osher Center for Lifelong Learning Interviews, March 14, 2014
WHERE DID THE EDGEWALKER CONCEPT COME FROM?
QUALITY 1: SELF-AWARENESS
- Jill Bolte Taylor, “A Stroke of Genius”.
Jill Bolte Taylor got a research opportunity few brain scientists would wish for: She had a massive stroke, and watched as her brain functions — motion, speech, self-awareness — shut down one by one. An astonishing story.One of the most popular TED Talks.
- Ariel Garten: “Know Thyself: With a Brain Scanner.”
Imagine playing a video game controlled by your mind. Now imagine that game also teaches you about your own patterns of stress, relaxation and focus. Ariel Garten shows how looking at our own brain activity gives new meaning to the ancient dictum “know thyself.” (Filmed at TEDxToronto.)
QUALITY 2: PASSION
- Passion – Inspirational video
- Is There a Purpose to Living? – Alan Watts
- Gregg Levoy, Following Our Callings
QUALITY 3: INTEGRITY
- Do What You Say You Will Do – Inspiring Integrity Story – Abraham Lincoln
- Ted Turner on Honor and Integrity
QUALITY 4: VISION
- Martin Luther King, “I Have a Dream,” August 28, 1963
- Fred Wahpepah, founder of Seven Circles Foundation
Wahpepah talks about the Vision Quest ceremony held each Spring and Fall in the hills of California.
QUALITY 5: PLAYFULNESS
- Ricochet – Surfer dog
- Play. It’s good for you. Dog food commercial
- How do you get through the day? Richie Parker at Hendricks Motors
SKILL 1: KNOWING THE FUTURE
- “Big Thinkers – Alvin Toffler”
Big Thinkers is a former ZDTV (later TechTV) television program. It featured a half-hour interview with a “big thinker” in science, technology, and other fields. Interviews were filmed in a 16:9 format and intercut with public domain material from the Prelinger Archives. This archival footage (mostly film clips from the 1940’s and 50’s) was used to create visual metaphors highlighting the speaker’s points.
- MichioKaku (2014) “The Future of the Mind”
- Nicholas Negroponte: A 30-year history of the future.
- Explorations of the Mind: Intuition with Daniel Kahneman
SKILL 2: VISIONING
SKILL 3: MANIFESTING
- Landfill Harmonic.
A video of a group of youths in Latin America in an orchestra who play instruments made from trash in a landfill. Just amazing.
- Dalai Lama Opening Prayer in U.S. Senate
A short and wonderful prayer that includes something about the power of words manifest reality and a vision for the world.
- Jim Carrey and Oprah Winfrey Talk: The Power of Intention and Visualization
- Your Words and Thoughts Have Physical Power – Will Smith
SKILL 4: FOCUSING
- One more reason to get a good night’s sleep.
- Paolo Cardini: Forget multitasking, try monotasking
- Andy Puddicombe: All it takes is 10 mindful minutes
SKILL 5: CONNECTING
- Empathy by Brene Brown
- Barack Obama Democratic National Convention Speech in 2004
A short documentary about how he uses contrast to create unity.